Foundation First is led by an active volunteer Board comprised of community leaders and local businesses, educational institutions, non-profit organizations, and local governments support us. We bring together parents, business people, community leaders and local agencies to strengthen existing early childhood education programs and implement new approaches where needed.
Foundation First serves the cities of Fredericksburg, Manassas and Manassas Park and the counties of Loudoun, Fauquier, Culpeper, Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford. We are deeply concerned that up to 1 in 7 children in our region arrive in kindergarten without the basic skills to succeed. This severely limits their chances for success in the workplace, their personal health and their ability to contribute to society. We believe that supporting early childhood education is a smart investment with a proven return.
We are committed to transforming their lives because we know it will change our world.
- 1 in 7 children in our community arrive in kindergarten without the basic skills to succeed.
- 90% of a child’s brain is developed before reaching kindergarten.
- Studies show that every $1 invested in early childhood education returns up to $17 to our community.
- When at-risk children experience high-quality early learning programs, they have better school, employment and life outcomes.
- The seeds of desirable workforce skills – critical thinking, teamwork, effective communication – are planted before the age of 5.
- Early experiences carry lifelong effects, not just on cognitive and emotional development, but also on long-term physical health.
Project Pathfinders is a scholarship program designed to support current child care and preschool teachers and providers with financial support to pursue credentials, certificates, and degrees through Virginia’s Community College System.
We will schedule sessions between Educational Specialists and Families to establish the right program for your child's learning needs.
Virginia Quality Birth to Five System (VQB5)
VQB5 is a measurement and improvement system that focuses on the quality of all publicly-funded birth-five classrooms and supports families to choose quality programming across different program types.